my first

Hi! I am so excited to inform you about my new business *MARA*. I want to thank my sister Melissa, for all her help and support, especially in establishing this blog for me. This is the very first blog that I have used so far and I will be using this blog to keep you updated about my new products as well as myself!

I never thought the day I start my own fashion business would arrive this early in my life. Establishing my own business has always been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. I have always wanted to work as a designer or stylist, in production and patternmaking for fashion industry/company. Unfortunately, they never hired me. Of course I was disappointed. I was not sure if my deafness or inexperience in the fashion business was the factor in me not being hired.

In my experience so far, most companies will not provide an interpreter for job interviews. This was problematic in addition to my often imperfect speech and lipreading, which I sometimes have trouble with from time to time. I'll never forget the time I told interviewer that I am deaf and they reacted with their eyes wide-open and particular body languages that showed nervousness. It was sad that they did not know what to do when interacting with me because the word "Deaf" had affected them.

Thankfully, that experience did not last too long. I currently work at H&M at the Americana in Glendale, California. So far, the job is great but it is not something I would like to do for a long time. I am not fond of the work schedule retail business. Also, since the time I started working at H&M, I realized I lost a part of my identity. The only times I use sign language to communicate with someone is with my love of my life, Jon, and with my friends, and these interactions usually happens outside of the business. I realized I cannot work like this for the rest of my life. I feel I need to move onto something better than where I am at this time in my life. So I was back at square one regarding my career plans.

I realized that the constant support from my family, Jon, and my close friends would be enough to begin my own fashion business, and to turn it into a huge success. Many people are constantly asking me where they can purchase my handshapes tees and dresses. I always felt bad that I did not have enough products to sell since I had not planned on starting my business in the near future. I am also still new to the business world but thankfully, my sister Melissa is very helpful and supportive of my new business. Melissa will be a valued business partner of mine.

At this stage in establishing my fashion business, I recently got my seller's permit business license and copyright for my logo. Last weekend, I bought new materials for dresses and products. I also talked with my website developer about my official website. At this time, I have quite a bit on my plate: my Jon and I are currently planning our wedding coming in September 2009, my job at H&M, and developing the fashion business, Mara... However, I am looking forward to seeing my website and products being ready for release by November 2008. Between now and then, I will keep you updated, and please do check out my website at blog and website coming soon www.byMARA.com when you get a chance!

Many Thanks,

Mara Ladines
Fashion Designer

2 comments:

InLakEch said...

Mara,

Can I say that i am SO PROUD OF YOu????? My Survivor is achieving her goals and dreams!!!!

I am looking forward to hear more about your products!!! AND i would love to buy more and more!!!

*hugs*
Janette

Unknown said...

wow... that was good blog.

and im looking forward to see your new website come up. You did great with the design fashion... I would love to buy handshape tee! =]

Keep it up and have faithful! =]


much <3,
Michelle